Wednesday 21 February 2007

Princess Superstar

Apologies everyone, this one was waiting to be 'published' for a while so isn't quite as current as it once was, I'm going to publish it for posterity though.

Princess Superstar's last claim to fame was one big hit named Bad Babysitter from way back in 2002 (hey, it feels like a long time ago to me). Her rapping style earnt her the hype-tag 'The Female Eminem' and for about fourteen seconds it looked as though Princess Superstar was to become an actual superstar. As we all know, she didn't. My further research indicates that the girl was also on her third album by the time she hit paydirt with Bad Babysitter- she'd been going since 1996... just goes to show, doesn't it! Only in 2002 when Superstar signed to the Studio !K7 record label did she actually get anything released over here in the UK though.

Superstar is back in the public consiousness at the moment thanks to a featuring on a (rather good) electro-house song by Mason called Perfect Exceeder. Not everyone realises that the vocals to the track were actually an original song by the Superstar which have been 'bootlegged' into the song - Perfect was taken from Princess Superstar's My Machine album, which I shall kindly say here, was given 'mixed reviews' by the press, ie they thought it was a bit shit. I didn't - I love it! The album has a mix of styles including twee hip-hop (much like Bad Babysitter) and has lots of very lo-fi electronic elements in there, much like some tracks by Peaches or Gonzales.

My Machine was actually released back at the end of 2005, but I thought I'd share a couple of tracks here for your listening pleasure anyway.
Download: Princess Superstar - Coochie Coo
I think this one is about her rude bits.

Download: Princess Superstar - Sex, Drugs & Drugs. Short-but-excellent song singing the praises of the three best things in life.

View the video for Mason vs Princess Superstar - Perfect Exceeder:

(This is the unofficial version that actually features Princess Superstar - it's a lot better than those three munters pretending to be gymnasts you may have seen on the music channels)

Weblink: The Official Princess Superstar Website. It's very pretty.
BUY: My Machine from 101cd.com

No comments: