Wednesday 9 August 2006

Soho Dolls - Stripper

Hey Kids...
Welcome to the first post ever for Give Up Now - the music blog.
Here, I'm hoping to provide a well-written portal where readers can learn about new music, in particular, that of the electro/synthpop variety. Because that's the kind of music I personally like.

Now I'm not 100% sure as to how to upload an MP3 file onto Blogger, or whether I can actually do it to this particular site rather than just link from here, but any help would be appreciated - please let me know. Thanks.

Anyway, onto the first song in question.

Soho Dolls - Stripper
The song 'Stripper' is apparently one of the most famous by the fantastic Soho Dolls- I've liked what I've heard of their stuff for a while now, and subsequently received a MySpace message informing me that the single Stripper was releasd at the end of June - the 19th to be exact. But did anywhere in Manchester stock the single? Did it fuck.

I'd all but given up hope until I stumbled into Vinyl Exchange a week or so ago and saw it glistening there behind the counter, costing £1. Yes, a single pound - one golden coin of the realm! And it wasn't some rubbish one-track promo either, it had three whole mixes of Stripper on there as well - Oh Dolls, you really are spoiling us!

The single had some bumf with it, as these promos often do, which informed me, among other things, that The 'Punksoundchex mix' has actually been at number 1 in the UK dance charts for over 2 weeks now - gosh, that shows how 'up' I am on all this Dance Music malarkey! (ie Not Very). The proper version of the song has also been garnering a lot of radio airplay over in Los Angeles, USA, on their very influential, flagship alternative music station, KROQ. Whish isn't too shabby now, is it?

I also went to my friends' house soon afterwards, (Emma and Gareth), along with another friend, 'Brownie'. What should I see on the table, but the exact same single, which Brownie had bought, for a pound, at Vinyl Exchange?! ...As time has gone on, his and my tastes seem to sync more and more, y'know.

...Oh, do you want to know what the song sounds like?
Well, there are some nice, sleazy female vocals on there, and if I were pushed to give you some Influences, or Musical Signposts, I'd say there's some Depeche Mode, a little Marilyn Manson and some additional big, fat synths in there. All with a beguiling melodic edge that so many female songwriters seem to posess. This song has a 'skippy' rhythm to it, which I believe is a symptom of being written in 6/8(?) time.

Download 'Stripper' (you can't right-click and save, until the last step where it says 'Download The File Now'.)
Soho Dolls obligatory MySpace
Soho Dolls Proper Website (in Flash.)

View the 'Stripper' video on YouTube <- for some reason, this won't embed.

2 comments:

Adem With An E said...

Love the Soho Dolls. Am a big fan of their other track "Prince Harry" as well. Top first post!

GiveUpNow! Blog said...

Yeah, I've got Prince Harry as well, in fact I prefer it to 'Stripper', but thought this one was a little more current, so thought I'd upload it instead.
Thanks for the encouragement mate!